Saturday, October 3, 2009

So Tired

I am fed up with French public transportation.

The greve (strike) of course began the day that I arrived in Lyon, and has been going ever since.

I rendez-vous'ed with about 60 other language assistants last night in Vieux Lyon, which is the one of the best preserved Rennaissance quarters in Europe (truly beautiful). After a night of much commiseration about potential near-future homelessness, I ran back to the only bus stop that connects to my current dwelling, only to find that the buses had stopped running at 7:46 p.m. It was 10:50 p.m. Ugh.

It's okay; we're in this together. Luckily, Megan (the girl I plan to live with) had spoken with another assistant about crashing at her place for the night. By 1 a.m. that morning, there were SIX of us headed back to this girl's place, ready to crash on her floor (to our surprise, we all got partial beds!). Fantastic.

Only problem? I had to be back the next morning to St. Genis Leval in order to get BACK to Lyon, to get down to Vienne, my temporary weekend-dwelling. But of course, that did not happen.

8:30 a.m. Waiting for bus 35.

10:00 a.m. Waiting for bus 35.

11:15 a.m. Waiting for bus 10.

12:05 p.m. Waiting for bus 10.

I finally make it back, after realizing I took the wrong bus 10, to St. Genis Leval, at 12:45 p.m. That's four hours of traveling, and two trains to Vienne missed. :( All is well, however, as Jackie (my current host) called ahead and scheduled to have someone pick me up on their way to Vienne later tonight, so for the moment, I can avoid the bus. Well, exhaustion has now set in and I eagerly await my potential move into the city...

1 comment:

  1. What's a "partial bed"? Sounds like a transportation nightmare. Total bummer.

    ReplyDelete