Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Oh, this is where I left it

I found my heart in Vieux Lyon today.

Vieux Lyon, or "Old Lyon," is one of the biggest and best-preserved Renaissance quarters in Europe. Its tiny, winding cobblestone streets are now home to various shops of Indian textiles, handmade jewelry, and Salons de thé, which feature hot beverages and sweet treats.

I was feeling rather homesick today (I think I'm picking up these common British words, like "rather," from my British host, who says "throw a wobbler" instead of "throw a fit") as I dashed from the grimy Givors Canal train station to Perrache, another ugly modern train station that can boast no French charm to speak of--a sad disappointment to new travelers.

But all I needed was a simple crossing of the river with Megan to discover what I was really hoping to find in Lyon. Just over the Saone River from the presqu'ile ("almost island/peninsula") is Vieux Lyon, a neighborhood which reminds me a bit of Barcelona and Florence combined, with a non-Parisian, au naturel French twist. It's exciting and quaint and exactly what I needed to see to take the homesickness away. Here, I fell in love.

Right. I don't feel like saying much more. Check out the pictures, then.

No comments:

Post a Comment