Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Fate

Some things just seem like fate. Today, after a trip to the bank yet again (this time to discover why my password to get onto my online account wasn't working), I decided to kill a few minutes before I could pick up the Christmas package from my mom at 5 p.m. (thanks, Mom!).

Walking down central Gratte Ciel minding my own business, I suddenly hear this scratchy, frail voice calling, "Mademoiselle, Mademoiselle! Pouvez-vous m'aider?" Can you help me, this cutest little old French lady, perched on a curb, was asking me with a huge, begging smile. She needed help off the curb, and down the street. "Mais bien sur!" But of course! I replied. Who could resist offering an arm to the petite-est old lady who was using a rolling shopping bag (see photo) as a cane? It turned out to be my best idea of the day. As we had a brief discussion about the weather and the United States, walking nearly 0.075 mph, this little French woman could actually understand my French, and she was so appreciative, that it gave me a huge confidence boost.


"Everyone here is so nice!" exclaimed little old French lady (in French, bien sur). "Every day, I walk outside to buy a newspaper or whatever, and someone always helps me get around," said she, who was clearly not fit to be out walking in the snow-laden streets (see other photo).

Little did little old French lady know, it was her bright nature, and her genuine interest in where I was from and what I was doing in Villeurbanne, that was the true blessing of the day.

After dropping off little old French lady on her doorstep and bidding her a "Bon Annee" (Happy New Year), I turned around and grinned--all the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment