Thursday, December 10, 2009

California Wonderland

"Is California really like the movies?" My new group of students look up at me expectantly, stars in their dreamy eyes, eyes of teenagers who have not yet seen the world outside of Givors, France.

What can I say? I've just told them that I'm from California, and to them, it's like I walked straight out of a golden wonderland where surfers and bikini models rule the beautiful city streets (which is true--in Newport Beach--but what they don't know is that there are normal people and places in California, too--like Fullerton and Santa Clara).

In the movies, you say? What does this even mean? Palm trees and movie stars and perfect bodies, most likely. "Do you always see movie stars when you walk around in the streets?" I get this question a lot. As much as I would like to say, "Yes! Of course. It's the California way, you see," I realize that I am their first real live representation from this famous state and I better set things straight from the start.

(photos: with images like these, how can I convince my students that California is a normal place, and American high school is not just a song and dance?)

So, "Yes, parts of California are like the movies, but the movies are exaggerated. There are so many parts of California, that it's really like anywhere else. Do you know it takes 14 hours to drive from the bottom to the top of the state? [big eyes from the students] And no, I don't surf, and no, I've never met a movie star."

Another problem is these kids' idea of American high school. Their closest encounter with it is the loathable High School Musical. Thanks to this seductrice of stereotypes, I now have to explain to my students that American high schoolers do not break out into song on every occasion.

What cracks me up is, I could lie through my teeth, make up a whole new American, California Wonderland for these students, and they would believe me. I could tell them that I had lunch with Britney Spears on center court of the Staples Center, followed by a song-and-dance number to celebrate our dessert, and I'd get away with it. Which is why it's a good thing I'm honest. For the most part. ;)

1 comment:

  1. California does seem to get more than it's fair share of attractive women. Unfortunately for California, its beauty index has suffered somewhat since a certain Maggie has left the state.

    ReplyDelete